Paul Jones (University of Michigan, USA)
With the passing of the land-grant bill (The Morrill Act) by the U.S. Congress in 1862, the New Hampshire legislature responded quickly in 1866 with the approval of an enabling act. By 1868 the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts had been organized and was led by a chemist, Ezekial Dimond. Chemistry instruction, a strong component of the program from the outset, included the requirement of original research. The first bachelor’s theses were written in 1893; master’s theses appeared by 1906; and the first Ph.D.s in chemistry were granted in 1958. Originally located in Hanover on the Dartmouth College campus, the institution was moved to Durham in 1893 and became the University of New Hampshrie in 1923.